This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1148440



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 326358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LEAD CHANTRY LANE (bridle SE 43 NE path) (north side)

3/20 Chapel of Saint Mary 3.2.67 II*

Chapel. C12 with C13 angle buttresses and C14 windows, with later repairs. Magnesian limestone coursed rubble with stone slate roof. 2 bays. Diagonal buttresses to west end and angle buttresses to east, all with off-sets. South entrance a round-arched plank door with continuously moulded surround under hood-mould. South and north sides have 2-light, straight-headed windows with pointed, trefoiled lights. Bell turret to west gable. East end has 2-light pointed window with reticulated tracery under hood-mould. Interior: stone altar table incorporates a medieval tomb slab bearing a foliated calvary cross. Set in the floor are 5 medieval inscribed slabs to the Tyas family. Medieval font with square base widening to circular rim. Late medieval benches. Triple-decker C18 pulpit. Inscription to rear of door: 'RE-DEDICATED BY THE BISHOP OF WHITBY NOV. 6TH. 1932: / BUILT ABOUT 1150 A.D. / This Chappell Repaired in 1784 / RESTORED BY VOLUNTARY LABOUR IN CHARGE OF / JACK WINTERBURN, 1932 A.D. / REV. T. BOTTOMLEY / VICAR OF SAXTON'. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 301.

Listing NGR: SE4642836896

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 301

National Grid Reference: SE 46428 36896


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 03:57:25.