This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

THWAITE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THWAITE HALL

List entry Number: 1145616

Location

THWAITE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Mungrisdale

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 33 NE & NY 33 SE MUNGRISDALE Hutton Roof

3/17 & 1/17 Thwaite Hall

27/12/67 II*

Former manor house now 2 private houses. C19 inscription over entrance REBUILT 1555 MODERNISED 1876; C20 alterations. Roughcast walls under graduated greenslate roof with gable stone chimney stack to left and large stone ridge chimney stack to right. 2 storeys, 4 bays. 1876 gabled porch has plank door in Tudor-style chamfered surround. Round-headed 3-light stone-mullioned window to right under hoodmould and small round-headed fire window to extreme right. Other 2- and 3-light windows under hoodmoulds appear to be 1876. Projecting gabled bay at right has C20 door in C19 chamfered surround. End wall to right has upper projecting carved-head water spout with mouth opening. Roof crease on chimney shows higher original roof line. Interior has large moulded stone segmental-arched inglenook. Was originally called Hutton Ralf and belonged to the Hutton family. Passed by marriage to the Dalston family and sold c1682 to Mr Williams of Johnby. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society old series, xi, p89; new series, x, pp231-2. Adjoining outbuildings are not of interest.

Listing NGR: NY3745234985

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 89
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 231-232

National Grid Reference: NY3745234985

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Jun-2016 at 02:46:20.

End of official listing