This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL AT ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL AT ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1145571

Location

ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL AT ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL, 1-5, BOROUGHGATE
ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL CHAPEL AT ST ANNE'S HOSPITAL, 7-13, BOROUGHGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Appleby-in-Westmorland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 6820 APPLEBY IN WESTMORLAND C.P. BOROUGHGATE (East Side)

1/65 Nos. 1 - 5 (consec.) Nos. 7 -13 (consec.) St. Anne's Hospital Chapel at St. Anne's Hospital. (Formerly listed as St. Anne's Hospital) 6.6.51

GV II*

C17 stone rubble cottages with later alterations. Main front has a central chamfered segmental-headed archway above which is a panel and brass plate with Clifford arms and inscription "This Almes House was founded and begun to be built in the year 1651, and was finished and endowed for the yearlymaintenance of a Mother, a Reader, and twelve sisters for ever in 1653 by Anne Baronesse Clifford, Cumberland and Vesey, Lady of the Hon. of Skipton in Craven, and Countesse Dowager of Pembroke, Dorsett and Montgomery". Each cottage has one window each floor all of two lights with flat stone mullions. Some doors with four-centred arched heads under a square chamfer. Stone chimneys. Chapel of same size, in corner between Nos. 4 and 5, with painted texts on inner walls. Cottages built round four sides of cobbled courtyard. No. 6 has been demolished.



Listing NGR: NY6836820368

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 68434 20200

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145571 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2016 at 04:01:53.

End of official listing