This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1145530



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Catterlen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 73744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



13/22 Church of St John



Parish church. Late C12 and C13 with extensive restoration of 1876 by Ewan Christian. Mixed red and pink blocks of sandstone, the upper part of the walls of coursed red sandstone rubble. Graduated greenslate roofs with coped gables. 3-bay nave with aisles, south porch and twin open bellcote. Single-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has C19 stone porch; the aisles with 2- and 3-light cusped C19 windows, the north windows without cusped heads. South built-in sundial. Chancel has blocked south priest's doorway, blocked original east window opening below C19 3-light window. Interior of nave has C12 font on C19 stem. 3-bay arcade of pointed arches, the north ones on octagonal piers and the south ones on round piers. C13 piscina under the respond of the north-east arch. Part of an original window splay in the south aisle under a C19 window and piscina. Pointed chancel arch. C16 roof trusses one with inscription dated 1585. White marble wall plaque in north aisle to Susanna Richmond of Highhead Castle, 1774. Chancel has piscina. Facing C19 large arched recesses. C19 furnishings and fittings. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, x, pp.158-165.

Listing NGR: NY4798431601

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 10, (), 158-165

National Grid Reference: NY 47984 31601


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145530 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:56:45.