This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1145247



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Matterdale

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 74556

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for:- MATTERDALE A5091 (east side)

Matterdale Church 5/154 dedication unknown)

The previous listing date "27-12-67" shall be added


MATTERDALE A5091 (east side) ) NY 32 SE 5/154 Matterdale Church (dedication unknown) -

- II* Church. Date: 1573, on tie beam, tower, 1848. Stone rubble with slobbered mortar and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel and west tower. North elevation of 5 bays; windows have wooden cross-mullions and small-paned glazing with opening lights; roof light. South elevation similar; gabled porch between 1st and 2nd bays has pointed entrance with fanlight. Datestone between 4th and 5th bays, possible from gateway, inscribed: "IW CHURCHWARDEN/1686/CS MASON", inserted in 1848. Tower has diagonal buttresses and saddleback roof with crow-stepped gables; triangular-headed bell openings with slate louvres. East elevation has gable cross and straight-headed window; memorial attached to wall has swan-necked pediment and slate panel recording Margaret Dawson, wife of a local bone setter, (died 1728). Interior massive fish-bone trusses with diagonal struts, that to east end inscribed: "MDXXXX/XXIII LPIALWPI/W" (LP 0 Lancelot Pattinson). Pews probably 1750, but one dated 1686. Font in form of baluster, probably late C17; font to west end is octagonal, brought from Greystoke church, date uncertain. 2-decker pulpit with tester and reading desk, formed from 3-decker pulpit. Sanctuary has 1881 choir pew facing late C17 altar and 3-sided altar rail with turned balusters and moulded top rail. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1881, Adoration of the Shepherds. A good example of a traditional Lakeland church retaining many features of interest.

Listing NGR: NY3944122440

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 39441 22440


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145247 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 09:19:01.