This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

HOLY WELL OF ST JOHN ABOUT 125 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MORWENNA

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY WELL OF ST JOHN ABOUT 125 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MORWENNA

List entry Number: 1141781

Location

HOLY WELL OF ST JOHN ABOUT 125 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE CHURCH OF ST MORWENNA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Morwenstow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64917

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 21 NW MORWENSTOW MORWENSTOW

1/112 Holy well of St John about 125 - metres south east of the Church of St Morwenna - II

Well house. Medieval origins. Dressed coursed stone with timber door. Rectangular well house with steeply gabled roof with flat ridge. Rectangular entrance in a gable end has stone lintel and jambs with C19 timber door with strap hinges. Granite capping and small granite cross set on top. Interior not inspected. The well is documented as early as 1296 and was the subject of a lawsuit between Sir John Yarde Buller and the Reverend R S Hawker (q.v. church and vicarage), poet, antiquary and vicar of Morwenstow from 1835-1874, in 1843. Both parties claimed ownership of the well, Hawker won the case. The well is illustrated in the Hawker memorial window in the church, with Hawker and his dog standing beside it. E W F Tomlin, The Church of St Morwenna and St John the Baptist, Morwenstow, Cornwall (Bude), 1982, p.12.

Listing NGR: SS2064815294

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Tomlin, E W F , The Church of St Morwenna and John the Baptist Morwenstow Cornwall, (1982), 12

National Grid Reference: SS2064815294

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Feb-2016 at 09:12:07.

End of official listing