This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1137030



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Willington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55781

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/77 Willington Hall.


Formerly hall, now hotel: dated 1829 on plinth, by George Latham of Nantwich for Col. W Tomkinsonjsome alterations of 1878 and c1955. Flemish bond orange brick, blue brick diapering and buff sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roof of 2 parallel ranges, brick chimneys with lines of octagonal stacks with stone caps. Jacobean style. Square in plan with servants wing. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical 3-bay south garden front. Stone plinth, flush quoins, moulded band at 2nd floor and copings. End bays have canted stone bays with mullioned and transomed windows and small pane glazing. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows above, and 2-light mullioned window in half dormer with shaped and pedimented gable. Central bay has 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical, 3-bay entrance front. Twin triangular gables with stone copings and finials. Mullioned and transomed windows and central detached Tuscan porch of c1955. Servants wing extends to the right. Interior: entry into hall with panelled ceiling. Open well oak staircase with turned column balusters and square newels. 2 main rooms to left have oak doors with 6 moulded panels, and panelled reveals. Drawing room has 4-centred arched stone fireplace with clusters of shafts to either side.

Said to be inspired by Dorfold Hall, Nantwich owned by another branch of family. The detailing is very similar to Arley Hall also by George Latham. A detailed specification for this house exists in the Cheshire Record Office (DTM/57).

Listing NGR: SJ5328365974

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 53283 65974


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 06:55:55.