This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1133660



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 337212

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5111 TONG LANE (north-west side) Tong Church of St James SE 2130 61/110 4.9.52


2. Built in 1727 by Sir George Tempest close to the Hall, St James's incorporates in its tower remains of the medieval parish church including a partially concealed Norman window and the tracery of a Perpendicular one. The church is however quite classical in design and appearance with a plain rectangular nave with slightly narrower chancel and square tower at west end with quoin pilasters cornice and parapet with carved urns surmounting 4 corners. The structure is of local coursed gritstone with large quoins and broad squared window surrounds. Tall plain round-headed windows with impost blocks and keystones. The doorway arch moulded and with intersecting glazing pattern to fanlight. The windows retain small leaded panes of greenish hue. Stone slate roofs with coping stones. The interior is virtually unaltered and therefore a rare survival. The double chamfered arches of the north arcade may be re-used, medieval work. Tuscan column arcade, band vaulted ceiling. All furnishings intact with west gallery, box pews, squire and parson's pews, 3 decker pulpit and communion rail. Important example of estate church closely related to the Hall.

Listing NGR: SE2191730541

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 21917 30542


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 02:35:29.