This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1130892



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Coverham with Agglethorpe


Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321758

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/9 Church of Holy Trinity 13/2/67

- II*

Church. C13, C14, C15, late C16 - early C17. Rubble, stone slate roof. 3-storey west tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Quoins. Tower: C15. Offset diagonal buttresses to west; west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered moulding; light vent to south side ringing floor; 2-light chamfered-mullion belfry openings on all 4 sides; embattled parapet with crocketted finials. Nave: 4 C19 north windows. South aisle: offset diagonal buttresses; late C16 - early C17 west window of 3 lights with roundheads without tracery but with trefoil carving in spandrels, all under a segmental arch with label; 3 early C14 south windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights; Perpendicular east window of 3 lights with cinquefoil heads. South porch: offset diagonal buttresses to south, pointed-arched doorway with hollow-chamfered moulding, gable cross; stone benches inside; quoined south doorway to nave with pointed arch, no capitals, ovolo moulding to chamfer, small foliate cross on right jamb. Chancel: to south, 2 late C13 lancets and one C15 window of 2 trefoil- headed lights under flat lintel; C19 3-light east window with Curvilinear tracery; to north 2 C19 3-light cinquefoiled Curvilinear windows to chancel and vestry. Ashlar coping and gable crosses to nave and chancel. Interior: south arcade of 4 double-chamfered arches dying into octagonal piers without capitals or bases. Low tower arch with almost straight sides. C19 chancel arch with deep hollow mouldings, no capitals, responds on low Perpendicular- type bases, C19 chancel east and north windows shafted internally. In chancel, C14 piscina with ogee-head and flat crockets and letters "TP". Victorian encaustic tiles dated 1878. South aisle: small plain piscina at low level, Victorian encaustic tiles. Lintel to south doorway a reused Anglo-Saxon cross shaft. In south aisle windows, small shields of painted glass in tracery, perhaps medieval. VCH i, p.223.

Listing NGR: SE1039786369

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 223

National Grid Reference: SE 10397 86369


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130892 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 12:58:22.