This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST BEDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BEDE

List entry Number: 1130411

Location

CHURCH OF ST BEDE, APPLETON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Halton

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 56047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 58 SW FORMER BOROUGH OF WIDNES APPLETON ROAD 2/86 Church of St. Bede

II

Catholic Church, 1847, by Weightman & Hadfield, in red sandstone with slate roof. Large west tower with angle buttresses, gargoyles and crenellations. The windows are paired lancets to nave, curvilinear to the chancel (with stained glass) and trefoil to clerestorey. The main entrance, in the tower is in Decorated style. Interior: Side aisles formed by alternate round and octagonal sandstone columns supporting large Gothic arches. nave roof has exposed rafters with scissor bracing and simple hammerbeam supports, whereas the chancel has rafters formed into braced collar trusses, also with hammer beam supports. Plastered walls and ceilings between timbers. Central altar of 1850 reputed to be a design of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Large organ at high level in tower area.

Listing NGR: SJ5145086295

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 51450 86295

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1130411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2016 at 09:31:02.

End of official listing