This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1125811



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Princes Risborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 46421

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.





Parish church. Early C14 W. tower, remainder late C14-C15 with C19 vestry/ organ chamber to N. of chancel. Restored 1863. Flint with stone dressings, tiled chancel and S. porch, lead roofs to nave, aisles, tower and N. transept. W. tower of 3 stages has moulded plinth and strings, angle buttresses, and parapet with carved head corbel table. 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, lancets below to N. and S., 2-light traceried window and moulded doorway to W., the doorway with carved head stops to hoodmould. Square projecting stair turret at S.E. corner. Nave has late C15 clerestory, with 4 bays of 3-light cusped windows and restored battlemented parapet. N. aisle has small C20 2-light cusped window at W. end, C20 3-light cusped window to right, 3-light Perpendicular window to left, and moulded doorway. S. aisle has chamfered plinth, dripmould, and 2 2-light traceried windows, the right with moulded surround and carved head stops. Internally this window has moulded arches and inner arch on slender shafts with moulded capitals. C19 3-light window to E. Moulded S. doorway with stoup to right. C15 gabled porch has restored arch with moulded chalk spandrels, cusped blind window above, and single cusped lights to sides. N. transept has restored 3-light Perpendicular windows with carved head hoodmould stops to N. and E. Similar windows to N. and S. of chancel, the S. side also with small door, completely C19, the E. end with C19 3-light traceried window. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower with small arched opening to chamber above. Nave has clunch arcades with 4 bays of double hollow chamfered arches, broach stopped, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, the N.E. arch to transept which has similar arch to N. aisle. Central spandrel of N. arcade has cusped niche. Nave, aisles and transept have good C15 roofs with moulded beams and traceried spandrels, the transept and N. side of nave with carved head stone corbels. Arched openings to rood loft stairs at N.E. corner of nave. Stone bracket carved with foliage behind pulpit, another stone bracket with carved head in N. transept. Transept also has clunch niche with remains of gabled canopy and finials. Wide chancel arch with double hollow chamfer. Remainder of chancel totally restored. S. porch has C15 roof with moulded beams, queen strut trusses and tracery panels to tie beams, one with a carved head. Fittings: C12 font with fluted basin and carved frieze; restored C15 screen with 5 moulded arches and restored painted figures in lower traceried panels; 4 C15 bench ends in nave, the poppyheads with carved figures and faces; medieval S. door; medieval floor tiles at E. end of nave and in transept; other fittings C19. C18 marble wall tablets, C15 brasses with half-figures of man and wife in S. aisle. RCHM I p. 257-9.

Listing NGR: SP8126504419

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 81267 04419


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 07:35:55.