This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1125041



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: South Bucks

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Taplow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 44256

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/658 Cliveden (formerly listed as Cliveden, together with 23.9.55 terrace wall, octagonal temple, Blenheim Pavilion and balustrade from Villa Borghese)


Circa 1850-1 by Sir Charles Barry on the site of, and of the same general dimen- sions and layout as, the house built by William Winde circa 1674-7 for George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham. ENTRANCE (NORTH) FACADE. In a Cinquecento style. Three storeys; 9 bays. Ground floor with central 3-bay porte cochere of 1869 by H Clutton with coupled Tuscan columns flanked by arched windows in Gibbs surrounds. Upper floors rusticated and with front Ionic pilasters: First floor windows with pediments and blank balconies. Second floor windows in moulded surrounds. Frieze with incised Latin inscription. Balustrade with urns. Left and right low balustraded quadrants with attached Tuscan columns link up with side wings at right angles to the centre. The wings are 2-storeyed and of 7 bays, the central 3 advanced somewhat. Interior altered and redecorated by J Loughborough Pearson for Lord Aston in 1890s and has a genuine Francois- Premier fireplace in the hall and genuine French Rococo panelling from the chateau of Asmores of circa 1755 in the dining room. GARDEN (SOUTH) FACADE. Generally similar to the entrance front but with a single-storeyed extra bay either side and standing high above 2 terraces. For the terraces SEE items 3/670 and 3/671. CL 7- and 24.2.77.

Listing NGR: SU9103185182

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 24 February, (1977)
'Country Life' in 14 December, , Vol. 7, (1912)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SU 91028 85179


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1125041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2015 at 05:04:54.