This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1117616



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Jul-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Aug-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 40726

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 513O BOYN HILL ROAD (east side)

SU 878O NE 24.7.7O Church of All Saints 7/1O


2. 1854-7 Architect G E Street. Two westernmost bays of nave and vestry to south- west added by A E Street in 19O7-11. Red brick with horizontal bands of blue brick and stone dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof, terra cotta ridge tiles, gabled parapet stone bellcote over east gable. Octagonal stone broached spire on brick tower with alternate stone band on upper levels. Circular brick stair turret on west, covered entrance with polychromatic 4-centred arches underneath base.

Nave of 6 bays, aisle either side with slim stone column arcades with Composite capitals of alternating designs, four centred polychromatic arches of red and blue toothed brick and stone. Coupled triforium windows with stained glass. 3 relief carved stone circular panels in each side nave spandrels, 3 rectangular panels similar carved each side of aisle wall all depicting the stations of the Cross. Larger rectangular relief carved stone panel, The Calvary, on west end wall erected 192O, in memory of dead 1914-1918 war. Stone pulpit. Fresco, Christ in Majesty over Chancel arch by A E Street.

Chancel walls of black and white bricks, coloured tiles interspersed with polished alabaster. On RH Piscin and Sedilia on LH Anmboy, all in carved stone surrounds. Two good portrait brasses in floor that nearest altar to first vicar of Boyn Hill, William Fresley died 1876 and other to second Vicar, Arthur Bishop Drumow 1876-1925.

Soffite of nave roof between rafters, paintings of alternating designs. Stained glass to east and west windows by Hardman.

An important example of Street's early work. The Church forms a visual focal point at end of long straight road, All Saints Avenue and is part of a tractarian group by same architects, comprising the former All Saints Vicarage, All Saints School and Schoolmaster's House, All Saints Almshouses and Vicarage Lodge. VCH Berks Vol III p 11O, Pevsner pp 47 and 173.

Listing NGR: SU8775380871

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1906), 110
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 47
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 173

National Grid Reference: SU 87756 80872


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1117616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2015 at 12:02:24.