This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1116350



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Rutland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bisbrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187533

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BISBROOKE CHURCH LANE SP 89 NE 4/1 10.11.55 Church of St John the Baptist. GV II

Parish church. Totally rebuilt 1871 "to the designs of the late Mr Langley" (Pevsner). Tower completed 1914. Coursed ironstone rubble with Collyweston slate roofs to nave and chancel, and Welsh slate roofs to aisles. In Decorated style. W tower at end of S aisle, nave, aisles, chancel, N vestry. Tower is of 4 stages, with angle buttresses, battlemented parapet and 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber. Second stage has pair of louvred cusped lancets to each side, and lowest stage has 2-light traceried windows to S and W. N side has niche with moulded corbel and canopy to third stage, and arched door in moulded surround with shafts. Nave has 3-light traceried window and cusped triangular window in W end and 3-bay clerestory of 2-light rectangular windows with ogee tracery. Aisles have moulded parapets, plinths and sill strings, and 3 bays of 2-light traceried windows matching those of tower. N aisle is continued one bay to east to provide vestry with door in E end. Chancel has one bay of similar 2-light windows, and a 3-light traceried E window. Interior: 3-bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Similar chancel arch. Arch-braced collar roofs. Contemporary fittngs. Stained glass of 1910 in SW window, and of 1978 in E window. Nothing appears to have been re-used from former building. (N Pevsner and E Williamson, The Buildings of England, Leicestershire and Rutland, 1984, p 456).

Listing NGR: SP8872599603

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 456

National Grid Reference: SP 88725 99603


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1116350 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 08:02:21.