This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1115849



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Milton Keynes

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tyringham and Filgrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351116

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/208 Tyringham Hall



Country House now a clinic,1793-7 by Soane for William Praed. Altered 1909 by G.F.Rees for F.Konig. Ashlar stone, slate mansard-roof with dormers and copper dome of 1909, balustraded parapet with urn finials over portico, dentil cornice. Two storeys, with attic and basement. Stone slightly rusticated on ground floor, white stone strings etc, reeded 1st floor band, very narrow recessed band joining heads of first floor windows, ground floor windows with deep panelled cills. Entrance front has 7 bays, the 3 centre in segmental bow with 4 giant Doric columns in antis with wall pilasters, entablature and cornice in line with rest of house. Glazed door in centre approached by segmental stone steps and flanked by stone sphinxes. At outer corners of front are coupled giant pilasters supporting projecting section of entablature, 2 bays either side of bow. All windows are sashes with a band of Greek key pattern below 1st floor windows. To the right lower 2-storey service wing, mainly refaced in ashlar stone 1909; 11 bays, balustraded parapet; left hand flank elevation of four bays, similar design and unaltered. Garden front of 7 bays the 3 centre in a segmental bow with attic storey added 1909 with pilasters, cornice, balustraded parapet and urns. Central glazed door in baroque, stone doorcase of 1909. Basement concealed by balustraded parapet surrounding house. Garden front of service wing refaced in ashlar stone 1909. 2 storeys. 11 bays, balustraded parapet. This wing contains an open courtyard entered through arch with pediment over in the north-east elevation. Modern swimming pool attached is not of interest. Interior: All main rooms completely altered 1909 in French style. Imitation stone entrance hall and main staircase. On the first floor the shallow domed ceilings of Soane's original design survive at the intersection of the corridors, and some of Soanes simple joinery details on the attic floor.

Listing NGR: SP8557246909

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 4 Buckinghamshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 85572 46909


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1115849 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 06:12:55.