This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113903



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Central Bedfordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Flitton and Greenfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 37996

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL 0435 HIGH STREET (North Side)

14/9 Church of Saint John the 23.1.61 Baptist


Parish church. C15. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. De Grey family mausoleum (see item 14/10) adjoins to NE, enclosing N and E elevations of chancel. Embattled parapets throughout. Chancel: 3-light E window. Round-headed archway to N elevation gives onto mausoleum. S elevation, rendered and painted to combine with mausoleum, has 2 3-light 3-centred windows flanking pointed-arched doorway. Nave: 3-bay pointed-arched arcades to both sides. Chancel arch in same style. Clerestory has 3 2-light 4-centred windows to each side. Rood staircase to SE angle forms external octagonal stair turret. N aisle N elevation has 2 3-light 4-centred windows to E bays and blocked pointed-archway doorway in square surround to W bay. Single-light window to 'd elevation. S aisle: S elevation has 2 3-light early C16 windows with straight-sided heads. 3-light E window. Pointed-arched S doorway. S porch: pointed arch within square head, the tracery and shields within spandrels reworked C20. W tower: 3 stages, with 4-stage diagonal buttresses to W angles and semi-octagonal stair turret to SE angle. Bell-stage has 2-light windows to each side. W elevation has 3-light window to lower stage. Interior: variety of monuments. To chancel floor is brass to Thomas Hill, receiver general to Earls of Kent, d.1628 aged 101. To N aisle N wall are 2 reset- brasses, one to Eleanor Conquest, d.1434, other to Elizabeth Waren d.1544. To N aisle E wall is brass inscription to Alice Hill, d.1594. Also numerous Cl8 marble wall monuments and floor slabs. Nave and aisles retain original roofs with decorative basses and angels holding shields. Nave retains much original pewing. Chancel N archway to mausoleum contains C18 wrought iron gate with Kent initials incorportated into cresting.

Listing NGR: TL0593635850

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 05936 35850


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 04:07:42.