This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1113573



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Reading

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 39156

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST MARY'S BUTTS 1. 5128 (East Side) Church of St Mary

SU 7173 SW 2/235 22.3.57.


2. Church of England. Like St Laurence's, a Reading landmark. Nothing retains of the Norman Church except a doorway built into north wall. Built in distinctive materials: a chequerwork of flint and ashlar with tiled roofs. Prominent west tower, hall church with 4 bay aisled nave and projecting chancel. The tower, 1550-53, is of 3 stages, crenellated and with polygonal angle buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles. The south aisle with projecting gabled porch in 3rd bay is 5+2 (later) bays with dividing buttresses and Decorated-style tracery. 3 bay chancel (1864) in Early English style with bill flowers to moulded cornice. (Built in knapped and squared flint). To north vestry projects with door to east and older polygonal turret with decorated cornice. The north transept is indicated by a gable. 3 bay north aisle (1871, Joseph Morris) with decorated tracery. Interior: south arcade circa 1200 with chamfered soffits and alternately scalloped and fluted caps (Pevsner sees these as transitional waterleaf) North arcade has a circa 1300 1½ bay return screen to form transept. Arch brace truss roof with scissor braces above. 4 dormers in south slope of nave roof. Screen dated 1631 under west tower gallery has cusped panelling. Memorial to William Kendrick (died 1635). Memorial by Flaxman to John Monck (died 1809).

Listing NGR: SU7141073334

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 71411 73318


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1113573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 11:40:01.