This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1103577



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Hertsmere

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 164187

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TQ 1395 BUSHEY MELBOURNE ROAD (Northwest side) Bushey 13/138 Lululand 21.6.78

- II*

Fragment of large house, now serving as facade to a club building. Begun 1886 and completed 1894 for Sir Hubert von Herkomer, RA, with elevations designed by H.H.Richardson. Ashlar and snecked Bavarian grey tufa with rock-faced red sandstone dressings. Free Romanesque Style. Large entrance porch, originally the base of a 4 storey tower and a short 3 window range set back to left. Steps up to a timber panelled door, multi panelled lower half with hollow moulded frames to 3 upper panels. Splayed ashlar reveals. Heavily voussoired sandstone round arch over lintel and imposts with free acanthus ornament in a band. Similar relief carving in tympanum with hollow and roll moulded surrounds. Massive battered sandstone plinth to porch. Sandstone course at key level. Porch truncated with stepped parapet. Left return has a tall casement in a reveal. 3 window range to left has a similar plinth with heavily blocked sandstone surrounds to vertical casements. Coped parapet. At left end a wall breaks forward with a remnant of scrolled acanthus relief carving at top. Lululand, named after Herkomer's second wife Lulu Griffiths, is the only European work by H.H.Richardson. All but this fragment was demolished in 1939. Building to rear is not of special interest. (Pevsner 1977: Country Life 16/12/39 and 01/02/73).

Listing NGR: TQ1364695195

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
'Country Life' in 16 December, (1939)
'Country Life' in 1 February, (1973)

National Grid Reference: TQ 13646 95195


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1103577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Oct-2015 at 05:07:08.