This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1102834

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST GILES, BURY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Codicote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161953

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2118 CODICOTE BURY LANE (east side)

10/6 Parish Church of St Giles 27.5.68

- II*



Parish Church. C12 origin. Some C13 fragments. C15 W tower. Restored 1853. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Plain tile pitched roofs, the nave parapeted. 3-stage battlemented W tower, top 2 stages with C15 detail includinq 2-light belfry windows. Lead spike with wrouqht iron weathervane. Deeply recessed W door and 3-light window above. Nave has restored C12 lancet in N wall and some C15 stonework to square and 4-centre arch windows. Other fenestration is C14 style. S Porch C19. Interior has large C15 W tower arch with single attached shafts S nave arcade has columns on C13 octagonal bases. Restored C15 derestorey. Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with carved panelling. S door has iron scroll work, possibly C12. (RCHM 1910; Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2185218730

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 21852 18730

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1102834 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-May-2016 at 07:23:38.

End of official listing