This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101809



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wyddial

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160364

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/143 Corneybury 19.10.51


Manor house. Probably late C16 in origin, early C17 N front with wings remodelled 1681 for Charles Crouch ('1681 CC' on rainwater heads), W front remodelled in C18, and house renovated for William Butt in early C19 (V & A Wallpaper Bk for 1826-29 has paper for Drawing Rm). Red brick of differing periods with steep old red tile roofs. An irregular house lying E-W with E shaped symmetrical formal N front of projecting porch and flanking wings. 2 storeys and attics with lower part at SE. N front has gables to projecting wings and central feature with moulded brick gable parapets, oval attic windows in square frames, 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Leaded glazing with iron opening lights. Late C17 central Ionic porch with pediment and 6-panel door. Pedimented brick aedicule (restored) above with statue of Juno. The front of the NW gabled wing has been re-erected fronting a short extension to that wing (prob in 1681) with a large chimney backing onto the window openings. Parapeted and gabled contemporary W end altered in C18 by addition of a 2-storeys segmental brick bay window with segmental arched windows and insertion of sash windows, deeper on Gd floor, but side windows there altered to triple sashes in early C19. S front has 3 + 1 sash windows on each floor with 6/6 panes, and round headed windows to low SE part probably a former conservatory. (RCHM (1911) 245: VCH (1914), 114, 116-117: Pevsner (1977) 142: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3581130706

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 114,116-7
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 142
'Victoria and Albert Wallpaper Book' in Victoria and Albert Wallpaper Book, (1829)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 35811 30706


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101809 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 02:45:09.