This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101601



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishop's Stortford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160898

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 5353 BRIDGE STREET (South Side)

No 10 (Black Lion Inn) TL 4821 SE:3/8 18.10.49


2. Mid C16 double fronted house. Exposed post and panel timber-framing, steep red tile pitched roofs. Two and a half storeys. North elevation to Bridge Street has jettied first floor and jettied second floor twin gables. Ground floor has central door flanked by modern mullion and transom windows in original positions and one old mullioned 2-light window. Two modern mullioned oriels on first floor and band of 5 blocked original mullioned 2-light windows. Cable moulded bressummer and carved angle post. Gables have mullioned 2-light windows and pendants to apexes and wall plates. Early C17 extension to west. Two storeys, one bay. Jettied first floor with C19 horizontal sash window. East elevation to Devoils lane has original mullion windows on ground and first floors. Plastered 2-storey, one bay, jettied extension to south with ground and first floor C18 sash windows. Further extension to south. Early C17, matching west extension of north elevation. Two storeys. Jettied, half-timbered first floor with one old mullioned window and 3 modern casements. Interior. Exposed dragon beam in ground floor, much restoration. (RCHM (1911) 65).

Listing NGR: TL4877621391

Selected Sources

Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 48776 21391


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 04:34:14.