This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101451



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ardeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159515

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 2928 ARDELEY CROMER (east side)

6/10 Farmhouse at Cromer Farm

19.10.51 (formerly listed as Cromer Farmhouse)


House. Circa 1500 open hall house with 2 jettied cross-wings, central chimney and floor over hall inserted in late C16 or early Cl7, S wing enlarged to E in C17, NE wing C20. Timber frame roughcast but framing exposed outside on front of ground floor of crosswings, and upper floor of S wing. Steep old red tile roofs. An H-plan house of 2 storeys facing W. One and a half storeys hall range in middle has a galbed dormer at the eaves and a large central chimney near the S end backing onto the cross- passage. Jettied upper floors of crosswings carried on bull- nose joists and knee braces. Tension braces to upper floor of S wing. 3-windows to each floor. Flush leaded C18 lattice casements. Single hexagonal shaft to central chimney. Later external chimney on N side of N (parlour) wing with diagonal square shafts (rebuilt). Timbers exposed inside, with close studding curved tension braces, heavy square-section joists, moulded axial beam and chamfered and stopped joists in the hall, 4-centred arched rear doorway, former exterior framing of house exposed in extension, traces of large hall window and shutter recesses, hollow chamfered posts and braces of central hall truss, and smoke-blackened clasped-purlin roof (constructed without end trusses). At S, service wing axially divided. Crow-stepped decoration to upper part of hall chimney stack. (RCHM (1911) 38: VCH (1912) 194: Pevsner (1977) 72: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL2970228225

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 194
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 72
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 29702 28225


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 07:39:12.