This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101447



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ardeley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159508

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 3027 ARDELEY ARDELEY (west side)

9/15 Ardeley Bury (700m to W of church)



Country house. Later C17 L-shaped brick house facing E of 2 builds on an ancient moated site, for the Chauncy family as tenants of St Pauls Cathedral. Extended on S in late C18 to a classical style U-shaped house facing S. Remodelled and extended c1820 as a Gothick castellated mansion for Commissary-General John Murray, facing E, with a new Great Hall to N of the entrance. Plum brick, Portland stone and stucco dressings, random limestone rubble round tower on S, old red tile roofs. An irregular L-shaped house of 2 storeys and attics entered from E with a tall single-storey Great Hall to right hand with 2 pointed Y-tracery windows and a canted embattled bay window. Gabled entrance bay with octagonal corner buttresses and finials, clock- face in gable, and canted oriel over Tudor arched moulded doorway flanked by narrow pointed windows. 2-storeys range to left with canopied niche between 2-light upper windows, over tall 3-light window. S-front has brick octagonal corner towers and central stone round tower all with battlements and false machicolations. The towers, the range to left of round tower, and the central part of the range to the right all date from c1820. C17 square kitchen block with coursed flint pebble facing at NW, formerly separate and 2 large formerly external chimneys to C17 N-range have tall octagonal shafts with mouldedJaps and bases. Lower rooms in the C17, N and E ranges, with butt-purlin roof structures. Remarkable Gothick Great Hall interior complete with hammer-beam open roof, bay window, chimney piece, and minstrels' gallery. Long rib-vaulted passage in plasterwork. Squared stone floor with black marble dots. Late C17 style staircase next the round tower dates from late C19. Panelled rooms of C18 and early C19. Heraldic cast iron fireback from Cromer Hall (q.v.). (RCHM (1911) 36: VCH (1912) 195: Pevsner (1977) 73: RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3012127125

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 195
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 73
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 30121 27125


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101447 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 09:33:54.