This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1101413



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Benington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 159621

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 2923 BENINGTON TOWN LANE (south side)

11/22 No 4 (The Bell PH)



House, already an inn by 1693, now a PH. Late medieval hall house with long W wing, hall rebuilt in mid Cl7 as 2 storeys with central chimney and jettied E crosswing. Altered in mid C19. Timber frame with basketwork panelled pargetting and weatherboarded apron. Steep old red tile roofs hipped with gablet at E end. 2 storeys range facing N with central chimney backing onto cross passage at W end with twin service doors (one retains 4-centred arched head) into 2 storeys W crosswing, jettied to N and with large external lateral chimney on N servicing large N room formerly separated by a passage from S room. Cl7 E wing less deep with space for stair behind front room. Lean-to rear extensions. Assymetrical N front with one window to upper floor of each gabled and jettied crosswing and one to centre. 3 windows to ground floor with door to cross passage in the angle with the W wing (6 panel: 2 flush, 2 sunk, 2 glazed) under flat hood on shaped brackets, and more recent central door to public bar (2 panels and half-glazed above) with similar hood. C19 2-light and 3-light flush casement windows with small panes on ground floor, except 6-light range to W wing with flap-down external shutter. Heavy bull-nosed joists and corner brackets to each jetty, exposed purlin ends to clasped purlin roofs. Tall T-plan red brick central chimney a third from W gable of hall range. 4-light ovolo-moulded Cl7 window on E end. Interior has large open fireplace in hall with a wall painting cl?20 over of a stag hunt in a wooded undulating landscape with mounted hunters and hounds. Ovolo moulded axial beam supported by chimney. Heavy, flat-laid exposed joists in NW room. Large early C18 corner cupboard in NE room with fielded and panelled doors. Cl7 staircase and exposed timber structure on 1st floor. Doors with strap hinges on hooks. Wide floorboards. Of special interest for ancient structure and c1720 wall painting. (RCHM Typescript)

Listing NGR: TL2992723569

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 29927 23569


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101413 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-Oct-2015 at 05:25:23.