This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1101071

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Essendon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 158323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Essendon TL 20 NE ESSENDON HIGH ROAD (west side)

9/64 Church of St Mary the Virgin 30.3.66

GV II*

Church. C15 W tower, restored. Nave and aisles rebuilt 1883 by W White. E end rebuilt 1917 by C J Blomfield. Flint facing with stone dressings. Chequer patterning between window heads and to gables. 4-stage W tower was rebuilt at top in C17 when cross bar 2-light windows with Tudor hoods were inserted. W door surmounted by 3-light C15 style windows. Slit windows to SW angle. Hertfordshire spike with wrought iron weathervane. Nave and 2 aisles of equal heights. Gabled porches N and S. C14- style window tracery. Interior has font in S aisle of nave of Wedgwood's Black Basalt ware. Bowl with drapery decoration standing on fluted wood pier. Nearby on S wall is brass to W. Tooke, 1588, and alabaster wall monument to W Prestley (d. 1664) with spiral columns and oval plaque surrounded by leaf carving. Late C19 marble monument of 2 sleeping children in N chancel aisle by W Theed. The church has important group and landmark value (Pevsner (1977)).

Listing NGR: TL2735708763

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 27357 08763

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1101071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2016 at 12:22:39.

End of official listing