This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1094740



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brockenhurst

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 144326

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



10/16 Church of St Nicholas


Parish church. C12 church, chancel and porch late C13, tower 1761, aisle 1832, restored 1896 & 1908. Rubble stone with stone dressings, old plain tile roofs, stone tile lower courses to chancel, brick tower and aisle, shingled spire. Plan of C12 nave with late C13 chancel and south porch, west tower and north aisle with vestry at each end. Chancel has 4-light Y-tracery east window and kneelered gable. On sides two 2-light similar and pointed south door. Nave has to south C16 2-light trefoiled squareheaded window under label with crest and headstops. Gabled porch with 2-order pointed archway. Inside C12 south door of 2-roundheaded-orders, inner square with abaci, outer of columns, scalloped capitals and arch with chevrons. Above and west is tall C18 timber cross window under hipped roof, and to west one above other C19 2-light windows. North aisle has to west small pent roofed vestry, south has 3 timber Y-tracery windows. At west is 1908 vestry. Tower has rusticated corner pilasters. To west roundheaded door over semicircular window and roundheaded louvred bellopenings. Moulded cornice and spire rising from domed base. Inside chancel C19 gothic monuments, that to south surrounds door. At south west C14 septfoiled recess. C17 pointed plastered roof having ribs with pendants. Chancel arch probably C17 roundheaded rebuild, but on nave side above timber tiebeam is plaster with trellis wallpainting. In Nave to north roof carried on beam on 2 cast-iron columns, to west early C19 gallery on similar. Late C12 Purbeck font of square bowl with roundheaded arcading, on replaced central column and corner columns. C17 font cover. Pulpit C19 in Jacobean style. C18 Royal Arms Board. Early C18 altar rails with turned balusters and moulded handrails.

Listing NGR: SU2788102630

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 30525 01766


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 02:21:41.