This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1094725



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lyndhurst

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 144390

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 20 NE LYNDHURST HIGH STREET (south side) 6/22 Church of St Michael and All Angels


Parish church. 1858-68 by W White, interior features by Pre-Raphaelite artists. Polychromatic brickwork of 2 shades of red, yellow and white, stone dressings, plain tile roof. Loosely early English Geometric in style, with many features of White's design. Complex plan of sanctuary and 2 bay chancel; 5 bay nave with tall transepts and lean-to aisles with gabled dormers to clerestory; north porch and north-west tower of 3 stages and spire. The exterior though White's master- piece,with many personal features such as the gabled doors, tracery and doorways, is outshone by the architecture and decoration of the magnificent interior. Very large space. Brickwork exposed with its polychromatic patterns. At east end is stained-glass by E Burne-Jones. Fresco on reredos 1864 by Lord Leighton. On south wall paintings c1860 by J H Pollen. Monument on north wall (like Easter Sepulchre) 1863 to Mr and Mrs Hargreaves (who had church built) by G E Street. Carved timber and wrought-iron screen. North transept has glass by Clayton and Bell and south transept glass 1862 by Morris & Co, some of their best. In nave pointed arcades with band of projecting brick corners like chevrons. Capitals of differing foliage by G W Seale ( who also did screen and pulpit), on piers of 8 Purbeck shafts. Nave roof has large carved angels on braces to trusses. At west end monument 1882 to Anne Cockerell by S P Cockerell Jun., and glass 1903 by C E Kempe. In north aisle long window with glass by Powells. At west monument 1798 to Sir Charles Jennings by J Flaxman. Buildings of England; Pevsner; Penguin, 1966; p326-7. A History of the Gothic Revival; .C Eastlake.; 1872.

Listing NGR: SU2988808198

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Eastlake, C , History of the Gothic Revival, (1970)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 326 327

National Grid Reference: SU 29805 08168


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094725 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 12:56:53.