This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1094367



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fawley

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143429

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FAWLEY EAGLEHURST SU 40 SE 13/18 Luttrell's Tower (now Eaglehurst 8.10.59 Tower) GV II* Folly tower. Circa 1780 for Temple Simon Luttrell, altered C19 and restored c1978. Yellow brick stuccoed, some stone dressings, lead roofs. Standing near edge of low cliff. 3 unequal storeys,rectangular tower on cellar with 6 storey circular stair turret at one end and rising above rest. 2nd storey is short and 3rd storey is tall, upper 3 storeys of turret consist of 2 equal storeys and short top storey. At other end to turret is 3 storey bowed bay, flanked by niches on 1st 2 floors, those on 2nd floor have urns, and on 3rd floor roundels, one still with relief. On landward side Gothick timber oriel on 3rd floor. Windows are pointed and mildly Gothick. Sashes on all faces except casements on seaward side. Turret has pointed lancets (round windows on top stage), blank on landward and seaward sides. Tower has string courses, and cornice below crenellated parapet. Turret has similar. Inside Tower good sized room on each floor with much unusual moulded plaster decoration. Top room has frieze of Gothick traceried baskets alternating with shells. All rooms have brought in c1700 fireplaces, including cellar which has passageway to beach. This item is now a property of the Landmark Trust.

Listing NGR: SP4090100022

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 47690 00930


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 04:04:04.