This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1094344



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Totton and Eling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TOTTON AND ELING ELING HILL SU 31 SE 5/17 Church of St Mary 8.10.59 II*

Parish church. Of Saxon and Norman origin as an aisleless nave and chancel, with transepts, with C13 restoration of the chancel, C14 south chapel, C15 north aisle and tower, early south aisle and north chapel rebuilt in a substantial general restoration of 1863 by B Ferrey, which included south and west porches and a north vestry. Mostly Victorian exterior with a few reused C16 windows; walls of flint and stone rubble with stone dressings, plinth, stepped buttresses, four plain Tudor windows, the other with tracery of the Decorated style. The tower of three stages is mainly Tudor and Jacobean, with massive diagonal buttresses on the north side. The interior has C13 and C14 arcading, with two round arches (one of early date); there is a small Norman window at the east end of the chancel. There are a number of fine wall monuments (two by Rysbrack) and several tombstones. The reredos includes a Venetian painting of the last supper, restored but apparently of early C16 origin. In the north aisle hangs a helm, with a hatchment.

Listing NGR: SP3858402580

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 36692 12459


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1094344 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2015 at 02:16:38.