This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1093019



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dummer

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 138582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.




Circa 1200, C14, C15, C19. Chancel (Early English), nave, west porch (C15), and a large bell turret above the west end of the nave. The chancel has 3 lancets on each side and a group of 3 to form the east window; the interior and exterior has been restored, but there is a C17 communion rail with balusters, and a small brass (of late C16) on the east wall. There is a plain deep porch, with small cusped windows. The nave interior is rich in detail. Above a pointed chancel arch and tie-beam there is a C15 curved canopy to a former rood, with ribs, bosses, and panels. To the north side of the chancel arch is a deep niche (C14) with ogee tracery, and next to it is a small carved wood pulpit of 1380; the other side of the chancel arch has a squint (hidden by a wall monument). Above the niche and monument are painted (and pointed) Prescription panels. There is a large 3-light Perpendicular window on each side of the nave with an arched tomb recess below the cill on the north side. The west end of the nave is filled with the massive timber framing of the bell turret, the floor of the ringing chamber being extended eastwards to provide a gallery, leaving the western half of the nave with a low ceiling. Below this on the north side is a Royal Coat of Arms of 1672 (Charles II) and a panel with a table of donations, in the gallery is a hatchment. A plain octagonal font is Victorian. Two stained glass windows by Kempe, 1895 and 1898. The exterior is plain, with red tile roofing, flint walls reinforced by brick abutments, stone dressings. The bell turret has weatherboarded sides and a low-pitched pyramid slate roof. The churchyard has many plain C18 and early C19 tombstones, now mostly illegible.

Listing NGR: SU5879146240

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 58856 46017


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1093019 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Oct-2015 at 08:41:17.