This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1089675



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Sapperton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 128354

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/78 Church of St. Luke



Anglican Chapel of ease. 1844 by J. Parish. Coursed and dressed rubble stone with Cotswold stone-slate roof and coped gables with cross finials. Single block with apsidal chancel and tower on south west corner. Romanesque style. Tower of 4 stages with off-sets, and vestigial angle buttresses on lower 2 stages. Single step round arch entrance to south with impost blocks and chamfered jambs; 3rd stage has round headed slit window facing south; belfry on 4th stage has open twin arches on all sides; hipped and sprocketed tile roof with weathervane. Nave of 5 bays, each with single light round arch window recessed in arch, the whole recessed in a rectangular panel with a line of modillions at the top, weathered sill and continuous off-set below. Apsidal chancel has 5 similar but narrower windows and conical roof with the line of modillions now joined to form a decorative Lombard frieze along the top of the panels. Projecting rafters at eaves all round. West window is tripartite with centre round arch higher and with moulded architraves and impost blocks linking 3 windows. Interior: hammer beam roof on carved corbels with wind bracing. Apse has 6 ribs joining at a boss carved with a cross motif, supported on colonnettes with carved capitals and low corbels. Simple geometrical stained glass.

Listing NGR: SO9214002641

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 92140 02641


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1089675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2015 at 12:05:52.