This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1087728



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanwix Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77642

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY 45 NW

5/62 Drawdykes Castle

1. 4.57. II*

Farmhouse, formerly tower home. Probably C14, converted to house 1676 by William Thackery and John Aglionby. Mixed red and yellow sandtone walls, mostly from the Roman Wall nearby, gabled slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays. Basically the original tower with Classical Revival faade and rear windows Chamfered plinth course. Entrance has moulded surround with triangular pediment, C19 6-panel door. Moulded surrounds to sash windows with glazing bars, having alternating segmented and triangular pediments, but no pediments to second floor windows. Calciferous sandstone ashlar quoins, moulded cornice and parapet with central coat of arms over which is carved head possibly of John Aglionby. West wall has roof moulding of adjoining building which was demolished c1764 to build the attached farmhouse (now very much altered). Rear wall has built-in Roman altar; and re-used lintel stone inscribed to Alan de Penitona, who was mayor of Carlisle in 1287, is inside. Interior now used for storage and impossible to inspect. One of the earliest Classical Revival facades in the area. See, Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, p. 368.

Listing NGR: NY4190758549

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 368

National Grid Reference: NY 41907 58549


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087728 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 08:14:47.