This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1087722



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Cuthbert Without

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77625

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST CUTHBERT WITHOUT NY 45 SW 8/45 Wood side Lodge with stable block


House, formerly Lodge and stables to Woodside. 1879-1880 by C.J. Ferguson for Rev James Losh. Dressed calciferous sandstone to ground-floor, with half- timbered first-floor, graduated green slate roof and rusticated ashlar chimney stack, decorative ridge tiles. U-shaped buildings now one house: lodge of 2 storeys, 2 bays. Jettied first-floor gable forms entrance porch supported on tamed wooden columns, filled at bottom with turned wooden balusters: squared and herringbone decorative timber framing infilled with stucco: decorated bargeboards and pinnacles to each gable end. Entrance has moulded ashlar surround with pointed-head arch and mullioned fan with leaded lights. C20 glazed door. Wooden mullioned and transomed window to first-floor with leaded lights. Left side has projecting segmental bay-window with curved mullioned and transomed windows and leaded lights. Stable block of single storey has similar stonework and roof: stable openings filled with C20 casements with glazing bars and other windows are C20. For drawing of Woodside see, Building News, 11 July 1879.

Listing NGR: NY4283050449

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Building News' in 11 July, (1879)

National Grid Reference: NY 42830 50449


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 05:05:48.