This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UPPER DENTON CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UPPER DENTON CHURCH

List entry Number: 1087564

Location

UPPER DENTON CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Upper Denton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 66 NW UPPER DENTON UPPER DENTON

1/90 Upper Denton Church

1.4.57 II*

Redundant Church. Probably early C12, with alterations dated 1881 on lead - rainwater heads. Calciferous sandstone squared coursed rubble from the nearby Roman Wall, large flush quoins; stone slate roof with coped gables and kneelers. 2-bay nave and single-bay chancel. Nave has west bellcote, rebuilt with west wall in C18. Entrance in south wall, has plank door and shouldered lintel; corresponding filled north door. One original lancet window in north wall, with 1 & 3-light windows with trefoil heads of 1881. Chancel east window of 1881 has trefoil head and earlier window in south wall. Interior fittings removed when declared redundant in the late 1970s. Chancel arch is Roman, reputedly to have come from the nearby Roman Fort, Birdoswald.

Listing NGR: NY6156065514

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 61560 65514

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087564 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2016 at 05:52:50.

End of official listing