This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1087539



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bewcastle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78127

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



18/39 Church of St Cuthbert 1.4.57

G.V. II*

Church. C13, with tower dated 1792, alterations 1901. Mixed calciferous sandstone rubble walls with large. flush quoins, tower partly rendered; graduated green slate roof. 2-storey square west tower/porch; 4-bay nave/chancel. Tower has plank door in round arch with incised date; windows with round arches, impost blocks and key- stones; louvred vents; open bellcote with hipped slate roof surmounted by weather vane. Nave/chancel has tall pointed lancet windows of 1901, angle buttresses. 3-light east window is C13. Interior has upper gallery supported on stone pillars reached by stair from tower; a rebuilding of 1901 of a much larger gallery of 1792. Early C20 pews and furnishings. Medieval font bowl on window ledge near pulpit; C13 piscina with corresponding recess in north wall. Wall tablets to rectors died 1737 and 1834. Part of nave was taken down to build tower in 1792 and walls of nave lowered in 1901 when reroofed.

Listing NGR: NY5654274561

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 56542 74561


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1087539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2015 at 07:32:57.