This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1080917



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Merton

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205146

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON ST MARY'S RD, WIMBLEDON, TQ 2471 SW19 (east side) 6/117 Parish Church of 1.6.1949 St Mary - II*

Parish church. Chancel late Medieval, much rebuilt in 1860 by G G Scott. Cecil chapel to south of chancel of 1626-36; nave rebuilt and enlarged in 1843 by G G Scott and Moffat, in late Gothic revival style. Knapped flint, stone dressings, tiled pitched roof (steeply to eaves to chancel, low to parapet over nave). 5-bay aisled nave; low clerestory; 2 bay chancel: south chapel; west tower and spire, of 1843, 3 stages with crenellated parapet. Buttresses between bays to nave; pointed aisle windows. Perpendicular tracery. Small square windows to Cecil chapel, cusped. Compound piers to nave, supporting galleries to north, south and west. Chancel and nave roofs renewed; 4 part vault to Cecil chapel. Black marble monument to Sir Edward Cecil, Viscount Wimbledon (d1638), in Cecil chapel. Various other monuments. Late C19 carved stone pulpit and altar rail, arts and crafts manner. C19 stone font. Organ to west end. C14 stained glass to Cecil chapel (figure of St George) and C17 heraldic glass. One south window with 3 figures designed by Henry Holiday and executed by Morris and Co, 1923. Further window by Morris and Co, 1925. London 2-South B Cherry and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: TQ2450271458

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994)

National Grid Reference: TQ 24502 71458


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 06:55:42.