This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

CHURCH OF ST MARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARK

List entry Number: 1080383

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARK, KENNINGTON PARK ROAD SE11

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Lambeth

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204334

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENNINGTON PARK ROAD SE11 1. (east side) 5023 Church of St Mark TQ 3177 8/240 19.10.51

II*

2. 1822-24 built by D R Roper to the design of A B Clayton. Greek revival church of sandstone with Portland stone tetrastyle Doric porch in antis, up 8 steps. Above the pediment a square tower bearing octagonal drum and open round Ionic stage with cupola; the whole decorated with acroteria. Single entrance, under small window, to narthex. Church splays out beyond to hold aisles. Five-bay returns with segment-headed windows on each floor. Pilaster bay divisions support entablature. Side entrances to narthex; and crypt entrances further east. Projecting centre at east with large window. Inside shows gallery on Doric columns round 3 sides. Aisles and galleries walled off in reconstruction after war damage; but screen of 2 tall piers of Ionic columns before east window remains. Central glass dome. C17 pulpit from St Michael, Wood Street.

Listing NGR: TQ3120677520

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31206 77520

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1080383 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2016 at 05:55:12.

End of official listing