This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1078703



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanstead St. Margarets

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355983

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 3811 STANSTEAD HODDESDON ROAD ST MARGARETS (west side) St Margarets village 13/39 Church of St Margarets ( C of E ) 24.1.67 Formerly listed as Church of St Margarets)


Church in use. Norman features but largely rebuilt with a N aisle c1316 for Sir William Goldington's collegiate foundation of a charity with 5 chaplains: dissolved 1431, and appropriated to the Priory of Elsing Spittle in London. Present appearance dates from c1820 (date on bell). Restored 1903 for Septumius Croft of St Margaretsbury. Repairs 1935 by H A Newton. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Steep old red tile roof with small octagonal wooden cupola at W end. A simple rectangular building of nave and chancel with no external division. 2 small gabled stucco early C19 extensions on N now used as a vestry and stair-hall to W gallery. Diagonal corner buttresses with 2 offsets. Blocked arcade of N aisle visible on N with C18 pointed wooden windows in the filling with leaded glazing and iron casements. Just E of S door a small round-headed Norman window with incised billet pattern in jambs. C14 S door, 2-light windows in S wall, 4-light E window with early Decorated style flowing tracery flanked inside by foliated ogee-headed niches, and piscina in S chancel window. Inside a change in S wall from old nave to wider chancel. Nave has a 2-bay crown-post collar purlin roof. The crown-posts are octagonal with moulded caps and bases and 4-way bracing in one but braces to collar purlin only in other 2. Cambered moulded tie-beams and arched braces from wall posts on carved stone corbels. Box pews in the chancel. 2 hatchements (RCHM (1911) 211-12: VCH (1912) 474-6, (1914) 454-5: Pevsner (1977) 344).

Listing NGR: TL3803411566

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 474-6
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 454-5
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 344
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 38034 11566


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 08:46:27.