This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YE OLDE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YE OLDE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1078281

Location

YE OLDE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE, 1, ELY COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Jan-2002

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477174

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 31418164 ELY COURT EC1X

24-OCT -1951 No.1 YE OLDE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE (Formerly listed as: THE MITRE PUBLIC HOUSE)

II

Public house. C1773 with early C20 internal remodelling and late C20 extension at rear. MATERIALS: stock brick. Welsh slate roof. PLAN: front and back bars separated by central servery. Small snug leading off back bar. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. Ground floor frontage with glazed timber screen, central window with 18 square lights. Right-hand doorway blocked and framed by flat pilasters with Corinthian capitals. To left blocked doorway or hatch. Entablature with dentil cornice. 2 first floor 6!6 horned sash windows with 2-light casements under cambered heads. Timber and glass front with door to southern part of left-hand return. 2 first floor windows similar to main frontage. 2 blind second floor windows. 2 storey wing on left of building, 3-light Tudor style windows on ground floor. INTERIOR: ground floor bar spaces have extensive panelling, possibly installed in 1920s refitting. Panelled bar counters to front and back bars. Tudor style fireplaces in both bars. Skylight over rear part of rear bar. Corner of the front bar near entrance glazed in to reveal trunk of what is believed to be a cherry tree, marking the boundary of the properties held by the Bishop of Ely and Sir Christopher Hat ton. Walls of staircase covered by wide, horizontally laid panels that may date back to late C18 construction. Front upstairs room refitted for public use c1990. HISTORY: The Mitre Tavern believed to be founded in 1546 for the servants at the Bishop of Ely's London house. The site and adjacent properties in Ely Place were cleared after the Crown took over the area in 1772. This public house retains its early C20 plan and fittings almost entirely intact.



Listing NGR: TQ3141181644

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31409 81644

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078281 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Sep-2016 at 11:17:01.

End of official listing