This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1078270



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477140

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2685NE DOWNSHIRE HILL 798-1/27/341 (South side) 11/08/50 Church of St John


Church. 1818-23. Possibly by CR Cockerell or designed by its builder, William Woods. Stucco. Slated roof. Classical style. EXTERIOR: 5-bay aisled nave. Symmetrical west front with slightly projecting central pedimented bay having pilasters at angles and flanked by small wings with blind windows and parapets upswept towards the central pediment. Prostyle portico with penthouse roof and panel above inscribed "St. John's Downshire Hill"; architraved doorway with panelled double doors. Flanking the entrance, architraved round-arched windows to ground floor and architraved oculi above. Pediment with clock. Appearing above the pediment a rectangular bell cupola with columns at angles carrying entablature and round-arched louvred openings. INTERIOR: particularly fine, with panelled galleries on 3 sides having 2 orders of slim cast-iron columns with enriched capitals. Tunnel-vaulted roof with simple coffers. Distyle-in-antis Corinthian reredos with inscribed entablature and architraved and pedimented doorways in outer bays. East window above of Venetian type with pilastered architrave and patterned stained glass including the eagle of St John. North and south walls have segmental-arched windows with splayed soffits above and below galleries; rear of galleries has corresponding round-arched openings to allow light through. Box pews with umbrella stands on doors. HISTORICAL NOTE: built to serve the new middle-class surrounding development. In 1916 the freehold was bought by Leslie Wright who leased it to the congregation for a nominal rent. At his death he requested it should not be sold so long as there was a congregation to support it. St John's remains the only proprietary chapel in the diocese of London which is self-supporting.

Listing NGR: TQ2698285697

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 26982 85697


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1078270 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 03:26:47.