This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, EAST LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, EAST LODGE

List entry Number: 1076511

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, EAST LODGE, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Weedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360817

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/171 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, EAST LODGE

GV II* Gatehouse. 1811-14. Flemish bond yellow brick with gauged brick arches, on sandstone ashlar plinth with moulded stone ashlar cornice; low ashlar parapet to hipped slate roof with brick stacks; cast-iron hoppers and lead rainwater pipes to parapet gutters.

Plan: ground floor comprises two rooms flanking the canal, each entered by a central doorway in the end wall; 3 rooms above.

Elevation: 2 storeys; 4-window range. Main front to west has semi-circular arched staircase/bridge spanning canal with iron handrails leading to perron and door giving access to first floor. Late C19 horned 6/6-pane sashes throughout. Octagonal painted wood cupola with round clock face octagonal leaded dome with weathervane. Rear elevation to east has recessed centre and blank windows to ground floor either side of semi-circular arch spanning canal, with portcullis. Cupola contains striking clock signed 'Jno Thwaites and Co. Clerkenwell London 1814'.

Interior: Some original flush-beaded doors and joinery, mostly refitted late C19. The central unheated room has a winding mechanism for raising and lowering the portcullis, all concealed by panelled boxing and supported by a trussed timber trestle. King-post trusses.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62933 59587

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2016 at 09:43:50.

End of official listing