This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1076180



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jun-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 217589

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SAMPSON ROAD 1. 5104 Sparkhill B11 Lloyd's Farmhouse Farm Park (formerly listed as Lloyd House under Sparbrook) SP 08 NE 7/78 30.6.76 II* 2. A fine mid C18 house, the main residence of the Birmingham branch of the Lloyd family from 1742 to 1912. Built by Sampson Lloyd II, work appears to have been completed by 1750. As originally built the house was aporoximately square on plan, 3 storeys, red brick with sill bands moulded cornice and parapet; 5 window fronts flush framed glazing bar sashes, flat painted gauged brick arches with keystones. Fluted Doric pilastered doorway with pediment. The layout was typical of the period with a narrow central hall with dining room and parlour each side to the front and service, kitchen and staircase to the rear. The staircase is a fine example, open string with richly carved brackets, turned balusters and fluted column newel posts. In the late 1770s the house was virtually doubled in size by Sampson Lloyd the third. New service quarters changed the original layout. The original front door was blocked and the former back kitchen became the entrance hall. The old west wall of the old entrance wall was removed and a big window added on the west front, the new room being panelled. Thus Lloyds farm is one of the most important of the rare surviving Georgian buildings in the city. A considerable amount of the interior decoration was rehandled in a convincing Georgian manner in the late C19. The house has recently been restored. It still retains its grounds with a formal avenue of elms leading up to the original entrance front.

Listing NGR: SP0873585233

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 08735 85233


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 09:51:42.