This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1074234



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Peckleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188191

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP 49 NW PECKLETON CHURCH LANE (north side) 10/61 Stapleton

7.11.66 Church of St. Martin


Church. Early C14; spire rebuilt (1904-5) and present windows inserted (1906) by W.T. Grewcock of Leicester. Random rubble with freestone dressings and slate roof. West tower and 3-bay nave and chancel in one. 2 stage west tower with belfry offset and diagonal buttresses diminishing with height and dying into the belfry stage. Segmental pointed west doorway with hood-mould. 2-light belfry windows containing Y-tracery with trefoil cusping to the heads of the lights, and hood moulds. Plain parapet, and small recessed spire. Nave and chancel: Pointed 2-light side windows with reticulated or Y-tracery; 3-light east window with decorated tracery. At the west end of the south side a smaller, C14 window survives, it has a segmental pointed head and Y-tracery; also on this side is the fragment of a square-headed window with reticulated tracery. At the west end of the nave, north of the tower, a small lancet survives. Blocked north and south doorways, the arches of both having been destroyed by windows of 1906. Interior: C14 doorway between nave and tower; 2-centred arch and double chamfered surround. No structural division between nave and chancel. C19 king-post roof. Fixtures and fittings: West gallery with vestry beneath, and box pews, all of 1808. Small stone font on an octagonal pedestal. C20 wooden pulpit with panelled sides and naturalistic foliage. Simple wooden altar rail with open arcade. Large Gothic style organ, C19. B.O.E. p. 389

Listing NGR: SP4347198451

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 389

National Grid Reference: SP 43471 98451


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Nov-2015 at 10:34:18.