This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1073122



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tarleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 357749

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TARLETON BANK BRIDGE SD 42 SE 4/46 Church of St. Mary - 11-10-1968 II* - Church. 1719, with small addition 1824. Handmade brick (formerly all plastered), stone slate roof, bell-tower finished with ashlar. Small rectangular 4-bay building with semi-octagonal apse, small rectangular bell-tower finished with a rotunda, flat-roofed porch at this end. Each side has four large round-headed windows, all with keystones and with glazing bars continued as intersecting tracery, small triangular pilasters between the windows; stone gable copings with flaming-urn finials on kneelers and east gable; apse has one window in each canted side, like the others, a modillioned cornice, and in the centre a rainwater head decorated inter alia with the arms of Banastre of Bank (and dated 1719, according to VCH). The full-width porch at the west end has a round-headed doorway with imposts and keystone, flanked by round-headed windows with glazing to match the other windows, and a low stone parapet; the exposed gable wall above and the lower part of the tower are stuccoed, and each part has a small round-headed window; the upper part of the tower, above a band, has in each side a small belfry louvre with shaped triangular head and a moulded cornice; the rotunda has a ball finial surmounted by a weather vane on a slender stem; above the belfry louvre on the west side is a plaque dated 1824, with initials TD and GD. Interior: panelled west gallery, and added matching extension to this along most of the south wall on fluted pillars with moulded caps; box pews in eastern half; reading desk in centre of north side; panelled octagonal pulpit; old iron stove; flagged floor; coved ceiling except at west end over galleries, where 2 kingpost roof trusses with very splayed Y-struts are exposed; gallery staircase at south west corner, one straight flight with closed string and turned balusters (rises through west gable wall from porch). Used as mortuary chapel (presumably since 1886 when Church of Holy Trinity was built in Tarleton village).

Listing NGR: SD4567020128

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 45670 20128


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Oct-2015 at 11:57:27.