This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.

OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1073080

Location

OLD CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pilling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 185036

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 44 NW PILLING SCHOOL LANE (off)

3/24 Old Church of St. John Baptist 17.4.1967 (Previously listed as Old Church of GV II* St.John Baptist ,now used as mortuary chapel)

Church, 1717 with early C19th alterations. Squared red sandstone, rendered on N., E., and W. sides, with plinth, chamfered quoins, and other dressings of grey sandstone. Slate roof. South wall of 5 bays. Windows have plain stone surrounds with semi-circular heads, keystones and impost blocks, and a central chamfered mullion. The west bay has a similar shorter window over the door, with no mullion and of a redder stone. The door has a plain stone surround with semi-circular head, imposts carved with crute Ionic volutes, and a keystone inscribed "1717". Above is a sandstone sundial plaque inscribed "Thus ETERNITY approacheth. G. Holden 1766". The east window is similar to those on the south, but with 2 chamfered mullions. The west gable has a bellcote with segmental coping, probably early C19th. The north wall is of 5 bays, probably altered in early C19th when the gallery was inserted. The lower windows have rebated and chamfered jambs and flat lintels of red sandstone. Above are lunette windows with plain stone surrounds and keystones. Interior has a flat plaster ceiling, and an early C.19th gallery on the north and west sides supported on timber Tuscan columns and with a front of raised panels in grained timber. Fixed oak benches, with a simple plank for seat and back, appear to be original. At the north-east side are 3 box pews of raised panels, one with "17 IA 19" inscribed on the door. A 2-decker pulpit has similar panelling. At the north-west of the church are 2 box pews of grained timber. The communion table is enclosed by railings with turned balusters. The C18th sandstone font is in the shape of an urn. Replaced by the new Church of St. John (q.v.) in 1887, this is an unusual survival of a small Georgian church.

Listing NGR: SD4027348477

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 40273 48477

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1073080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2016 at 02:52:38.

End of official listing