This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1072542



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brindle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 184305

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BRINDLE WATER STREET SD 52 SE 5/54 Parish Church of St. James 17.4.67 (Formerly listed as Church of GV St James) II

Church. Late medieval tower and north chapel, nave of 1817, with chancel 1869-70. Sandstone with nave of dressed gritstone, slate roofs. Perpendicular 4-stage west tower with chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses and south-east stair-turret, has low Tudor-arched west doorway with hollowed surround, above this a restored 3-light window under a hoodmould with shield stops, a clock face, and 2-light louvred belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds; on north and south sides chamfered looplights, and gargoyles below a dripcourse carried round the whole; embattled parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles. Short and broad nave (extending to north of tower), of 4 bays, has gabled porch to 1st bay on south side, large 3-light arched windows with transoms and intersecting tracery. Two-bay chancel has square-headed 2-light windows and large 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery. Chapel to north of this, raised and restored, has Tudor-arched 3-light window with hollow-moulded reveal and cusped lights, and a blank arch above, and on the north side a square-headed window with 3 similar cusped lights and hollow spandrels (C19 vestry covers most of this wall). Set against the east wall of this chapel are 3 medieval gravestones with incised crosses. Interior: wide auditorium formed by incorporation of former aisle in early C19, formerly galleried; at east end large but unequal 2-centred arches to chapel and chancel, with 2 orders of moulding, semi-octagonal responds; 3 large queen-post roof trusses with arch bracing to collars and much ornamental openwork; brass chandelier of 1792 (Pevsner) with 2 tiers of arms; small stone tub font; over south door a shouldered panel painted with arms of George III; and on tower wall two C18 shouldered panels listing benefactions to the poor and the school.

Listing NGR: SD5991924280

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

National Grid Reference: SD 59919 24280


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1072542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Oct-2015 at 04:16:15.