This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EANSWYTHE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EANSWYTHE

List entry Number: 1068556

Location

THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST EANSWYTHE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Folkestone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 22 35 NE CHURCH STREET 737/1/55 (South Side) FOLKESTONE The Parish Church of St Mary and St Eanswythe

5.12.49 II*

Largely rebuilt in the Cl9 but the arcade of the Chancel is C13, the arches of the central Tower, the Lady Chapel and St Eanswythe's Chapel are Cl5. Built of stone rubble with slate roof. Tower has octagonal stair turret and angle buttreses. The nave and north aisle were rebuilt by R C Hussey in 1856-9. The large Perpendicular west window and porch were added by Stallwood in 1872, the south Chancel aisle and transept were rebuilt in 1869 and the south aisle in 1874. Triple crown post roof to chancel. Stained glass windows by Kempe. Cl3 font, Segrave tomb circa 1350. Monument to the Herdson family 1628. Piscina and double sedilia.

Listing NGR: TR2295935863

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TR 22959 35863

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1068556 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 10:35:41.

End of official listing