This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1067484



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Salford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 211984

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WORSLEY BARTON ROAD SD 70 SW (north-east side) 1/27 Worsley Court House (formerly listed under 29/7/66 Worsley Road) G.V. II

Court house, now public function suite. 1849. For the 1st Earl of Ellesmere. Timber-framed structure with slate roof. The consciously picturesque massing centres round a large hall with various lower wings all of 1 storey. Projecting stone plinth and vertically studded framing which has decorative square panelling in the numerous gables. The tall gable of the hall is flanked by smaller gabled wings which project forward. Between them a loggia and balustrade form a porchway to the studded door which is off-centre and has a Tudor-arched moulded surround. Windows are generally of 3 to 6-lights with ovolo-moulded timber mullions, leaded casements and some with transoms. The gables have decorative barge boards and finials. Projecting wing to left with large stone chimney stack. The right of the hall has a massive projecting stone chimney stack which is terminated at the top by a pyramidal roof to a tower-like feature in an Italianate style. Adjacent to it is the principal window which is a 6-light gabled oriel with mullions and transoms. The library which adjoins to rear is not included in this entry. The revival of timber-framing in 1849 is a particularly early occurence and is one of a handful in the Worsley area.

Listing NGR: SD7477300462

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 74773 00462


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2015 at 11:48:29.