This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1067053



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holdenby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360205

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/216 Holdenby House 02/11/54 II*

Country house. c.1583 for Sir Christopher Hatton rebuilt 1873-5 by R.H. Carpenter and W. Slater and extended 1887-8 by W.E. Mills. Squared coursed lias with ashlar dressings and slate roof. U-shaped plan. South front is 2 storeys with attic. 8-window range of 2- and 4-light stone mullions with transoms. Windows 3, 4 and 5 a fragment of Holdenby Palace of 1583; 2 window ranges to left, set back are c.1887-8, remainder mainly 1873-5. Projecting porch has double pilasters flanking arched entrance at ground floor and detached twin columns at first floor flanking a 3-light stone mullion window, reputedly from Holdenby Palace and re-erected from elsewhere. Ashlar gable parapets and dormers with pediments. Tall circular ashlar stacks with linked caps some probably c.1583. Right gable has C16 blocked opening with 4-centred head. North front with projecting wings is mainly C19 with central porch similar to that on the south front. Carriage arch datestone 1659 and walls one attached. Interior: Entrance hall in centre of north front has C19 panelling and marble fireplace, probably c.1583 structure; billiard room and boudoir to left of entrance have C19 moulded cornices; marble fireplace in the boudoir is decorated with musical instruments. Ball-room in south front has large marble fireplace with swags of grapes, this room incorporates part of original structure. Garden hall, south front has C19 stair with turned balustrade. Library c.1583 has original panelling re-set; dining room to left of library has late C19 moulded cornice and fireplace. Holdenby Palace was demolished in 1651 by Captain Adam Baynes with the exception of part of the offices incorporated into the present house in 1873. Two gate arches also remain to the east. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.261) Surrounding Site scheduled as ancient monument.

Listing NGR: SP6927767774

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 261
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 69277 67774


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067053 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2015 at 09:37:18.