This browser is not fully supported by Historic England.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1065629



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Sutton

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206795

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


795/16/166 ST NICHOLAS ROAD 01-MAR-74 Church of St Nicholas


Parish curch. Rebuilt 1862-4 by Edwin Nash, incorporates monuments from the old building. Dressed flint with stone dressings. Red tile roof. Gothic style. 4 bay nave, chancel, organ chamber and vestry, side aisles, south aisle chapel and west tower. Tower with doorway in west side of it, 4 tiers of fenestration and shingled broach spire. Aisle windows of 3-lights with circular tracery over in pointed heads; 2-light windows to south aisle chapel; chancel window of 5-lights. Gabled porches to north and south sides, south porch with following inscription on bargeboard: "How amiable are thy dwellings thou Lord of Hosts". INTERIOR: nave with pointed arches supported on circular columns with foliated capitals; timber roofs; whitewashed walls. The present structure incorporates a medieval piscina and monuments from the old church including the following; monuments to Joseph Glover 1628, to Lady Dorothy Brownlow 1699, to William Earl Talbot 1782 and to Isaac Littlebury 1740.

Listing NGR: TQ2577264158

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 25772 64158


© Crown Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2015. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2015 at 11:06:58.